My wife encountered an issue with loading her company’s Facebook page on her computer and asked me to put my IT hero cape on to fix her problem. This was quite an unusual problem and this was the error page she was getting:
The redirect appears to be related to the Facebook page being upgraded to the new design (I think based on the upgradeaccount in the URL). After searching for an answer online I couldn’t find anything.
I even tried some of the following solutions other people suggested and none of them worked:
- clearing cookies and the cache from the browser
- using a different browser – I tried Microsoft Edge, Chrome and Firefox. All of them had the same problem after successfully logging in
- using a different computer – tried multiple computers and they all had the same issue
I tried using my personal account and it successfully logged in and was able to manage my Facebook pages and account. So this was solely related to a specific account.
So below are the instructions on how to fix the Facebook too many redirect issue . Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to capture all the screenshots because I wasn’t even sure if it worked:
- Login to the Facebook account that is having the issue
- You will see the error message:
This page isn’t working right now www.facebook.com redirected you too many times. ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
- In the browsers URL type in https://www.facebook.com/home or https://www.facebook.com/upgradeaccount/redirect/
basically type in something that doesn’t exist. It will display a page saying it doesn’t exist but then in the background, you will see a NEWS FEED BUTTON. Press escape to close the error message and click on the NEWS FEED BUTTON. You may also find a link at the bottom of the page with NEWS FEED.
- This should take you to the news page and you will be able to see the toolbar at the top. You may notice that this layout is a bit different because Facebook upgraded the account to the new layout. You can play around with some of the settings to see the dashboard.
- In the toolbar click on the dropdown arrow next to the bell icon and click on Switch to Classic Facebook
- Once I switched to the Classic Facebook View, I logged out and then logged back in. The problem was solved.
So it appears that upgrading the Facebook Page to the new design caused the redirection. Something probably didn’t successfully migrate to the new design and caused the loop (redirections).
I hope this has helped some of you because I noticed that in the Facebook community pages, there were people facing this problem and no one from Facebook support actually helped. This is one of the biggest issues with getting support from large corporate organisations which I have also faced in the past.
If this has helped you please share it with the Facebook community and even follow my journey and subscribe to my newsletter. If you need help let me know.
UPDATE NOTE: Once you log back in and the redirect issue is fixed, try switching back to the new design and see if the problem reoccurs. Facebook is forcing everyone to move to the new design by September, so it’s best that you try to switch to the new design and if the problem still occurs you at least still have the option switch back to the classic design. If you still get the redirect problem, I would recommend you contact the Facebook Business Help Center using the steps mentioned in this post: HOW TO UNBLOCK WEBSITE ON FACEBOOK
If this article helped you in any way and you want to show your appreciation, I am more than happy to receive donations through PayPal. This will help me maintain and improve this website so I can help more people out there. Thank you for your help.
HELP OTHERS AND SHARE THIS ARTICLE
LEAVE A COMMENT
I am an entrepreneur based in Sydney Australia. I was born in Vietnam, grew up in Italy and currently residing in Australia. I started my first business venture Advertise Me from a random idea and have never looked back since. My passion is in the digital space, affiliate marketing, fitness and I launched several digital products. You will find these on the portfolio page.
I’ve decided to change from a Vegetarian to a Vegan diet and started a website called Veggie Meals.
I started this blog so I could leave a digital footprint of my random thoughts, ideas and life in general.
If any of the articles helped you in any way, please donate. Thank you for your help.
Affiliate Compensated: there are some articles with links to products or services that I may receive a commission.