Time flies and I completely forgot that it’s been 4 years since I started the journey of running every day for at least 5 KM. My running streak as of today is 1467 days and yes, it’s been quite a journey. This picture is of me running this morning when it was sprinkling with rain and realised that I had gone past my 4-year mark.
Running is one of the most popular forms of exercise in the world, and for good reason. Not only is it an excellent way to stay in shape, but it also provides numerous physical and mental health benefits. Running is a high-impact exercise that can help you lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, boost your immune system, and even increase your lifespan. If you’re time-sensitive, then out of all the exercises that I’ve done such as running, swimming and cycling, running burns the most amount of calories for the same timeframe. Additionally, running can also help to reduce stress and anxiety, improve your mood, and increase your self-confidence.
My learnings from this journey so far:
- a list of my previous learnings is also here: Fitness Journey
- age is just a number – one of the most important lessons from my fitness journey is that it’s never too late to start. I began my running fitness journey in my 40s, despite not having a background as an athlete during my formative years. Instead of focusing on sports, I prioritised my education and studies. This experience taught me that age should never be a barrier to pursuing a healthier lifestyle
- commit to your goals – setting a goal is one thing, but sticking with it without making excuses is another. I’ve learned the importance of unwavering commitment when it comes to achieving fitness goals. It’s essential to push through the challenges and not let excuses deter your progress
- pushing through challenges – some days, I’ve found that running isn’t always enjoyable, and I struggle to stay motivated. However, I’ve discovered that the key is to push through those moments and remind myself that it’s just a 25-30-minute run. This determination helps me overcome the temporary discomfort.
- effective time management – managing your time effectively is crucial in maintaining a consistent exercise routine. I’ve learned that there’s always a time slot in the day to fit in some physical activity. On occasions, I’ve even woken up at 4 a.m. to ensure I complete my run, recognising that I couldn’t find time during the day
- education and learning – throughout my fitness journey, I’ve discovered that staying physically active has a profound positive impact on my education and learning endeavours. Engaging in regular exercise not only improves my physical health but also enhances my cognitive abilities. The discipline and dedication I’ve cultivated through fitness have translated into my academic pursuits. As a result, I’ve successfully completed 3 Microsoft certifications and one AWS certification, university courses, and TAFE (Technical and Further Education) courses. The increased mental clarity, focus, and stress reduction that fitness provides have played a significant role in my academic achievements, underscoring the invaluable connection between physical and mental well-being
- boosting work efficiency and effectiveness – my fitness journey has not only positively impacted my physical and academic pursuits but has also played a vital role in my professional life. Regular exercise has proven to be a powerful tool for enhancing work efficiency and effectiveness. The physical energy and mental alertness I gain from staying active enable me to tackle tasks with increased vigour and productivity. Additionally, the discipline and time management skills I’ve honed through fitness have directly translated into my work routine. By prioritising my health and well-being, I’ve become better equipped to handle the demands of a busy work schedule, ultimately leading to improved performance, time management, and overall effectiveness in my professional endeavours
- the right mindset trumps fancy gear – I’ve realized that you don’t need expensive, high-end running shoes to get started. A beginner can make do with any decent pair of running shoes from a store like Fashion 4 Shoes. Your mindset and determination matter far more than the brand or cost of your gear. As you progress, you can invest in more specialised equipment
- a positive attitude – interacting with others in a positive and friendly manner can have a profound impact on your fitness journey. A simple smile can go a long way in motivating yourself and those around you to keep moving forward
- cherish your body – we only have one body, and it’s essential to take good care of it. My fitness journey has taught me to appreciate and make the most out of the body I have by prioritising my health and well-being
- building daily habits – creating good daily habits is a game-changer. Consistency in your routines can bring about a positive shift in your life. Whether it’s daily exercise, a balanced diet (yes I’m also Vegan), or mindfulness practices, these habits can transform your overall well-being
- running as a calming influence – running has become a source of calm, contentment, and focus in my life. It’s not just about physical fitness but also mental well-being. The rhythm of running helps me find inner peace and concentration
- embracing changes with age – as I’ve continued my fitness journey, I’ve noticed that I’m running a bit slower now compared to when I first started. I attribute this change to the natural aging process. It’s a reminder that it’s okay for our bodies to evolve, and it’s important to adjust our expectations accordingly
- overcoming soreness – while I haven’t faced any major injuries, I have experienced some soreness along the way. I’ve come to understand that this soreness is often a result of fatigue and isn’t a reason to give up. Instead, it’s a signal that my body is adapting and growing stronger
If you asked me how long will I keep going I don’t have an honest answer. Although I do feel a bit tired on some days, I think I’ll continue until I reach another milestone or if I get told to do so by a medical physician. Until then, I wish you positivity and hope you are doing well in your own fitness journey.
If this article helped you in any way and you want to show your appreciation, I am more than happy to receive donations through PayPal. This will help me maintain and improve this website so I can help more people out there. Thank you for your help.
HELP OTHERS AND SHARE THIS ARTICLE
LEAVE A COMMENT
I am an entrepreneur based in Sydney Australia. I was born in Vietnam, grew up in Italy and currently residing in Australia. I started my first business venture Advertise Me from a random idea and have never looked back since. My passion is in the digital space, affiliate marketing, fitness and I launched several digital products. You will find these on the portfolio page.
I’ve decided to change from a Vegetarian to a Vegan diet and started a website called Veggie Meals.
I started this blog so I could leave a digital footprint of my random thoughts, ideas and life in general.
If any of the articles helped you in any way, please donate. Thank you for your help.
Affiliate Compensated: there are some articles with links to products or services that I may receive a commission.